Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Origin of 420

          Every smoker out there knows the term 420, maybe you know it as the time to smoke, or as April 20th our national day, however most of you don't know the truth behind 420. I have heard many different stories about why 420 is 420. I have heard it is related to the bible, or the chemicals that are found in cannabis. I am here to clear up any misinformation you might have.

         I'll start with the story I was told when I first partook in smoking Marijuana. The story is about a group of high school students who would always meet at the same spot at 420 to smoke after school, the reason for the time is because they always had to stay after school for detention and would end up meeting at 420. I know my story is simple, but this is the story I have believed since my days as an amateur smoker.

          After some Internet research I have found that the story I was told is actually pretty accurate. The term began being used by a group of teenagers known as The Waldos. They lived in San Rafael, CA and went to San Rafael High, The Waldos meeting spot was the Statue of Saint Louis Pasteur in their high school. They would meet there using the phrase "4:20 Louis" and go looking for an abandoned Marijuana crop they had heard about. After failing to find the crop the phrase shortened to "4:20" and is the beloved stoner time we know today.

The Statue of Saint Louis Pasteur at San Rafael High.

          I hope some of you readers have learned something from this post ( I learned a good amount from writing it ).
          
                                               May the Smoke be with you
                                                                             J. Canna

No comments:

Post a Comment